Friday, April 24, 2009

Beauty is only skin deep. pt.2

So, originally I had planned to do a step by step of making my character. However, 389 pictures later (The max my digital cam can take at it's current settings) I realized that it was boring, long winded and would take far too long to load.

So, instead I'll just show you a before and after.

So, there's the before. As I said I would have a friend randomly pick my race gender for the character. The sumgun had to go and pick a dark elf. I don't really hate Dunmer, but they aren't exactly the most pretty of characters and their skin tones are hard to get right without making them look blotchy (as I mentioned in part 1)

What you see above is a random generic face. Not too bad, though it did take me a good 20 minutes to actually get that face.


And there is the after. Marked improvement in my opinion (Of course my taste in fictional elven womens may differ from your own.) Kinda looks like Amanda Tapping a little... Maybe not.

Smoothed out the facial features a deal, adjusted the skin tone and of course changed the hair. I prefer red hair since it brings out the eyes and makes the blue skin seem softer.

Total working time: 1.5hr
Total number of saves used: 21
Total number of reloads: 8
Times yelled at the goddamned sliders: 3


So, there's the character. I'm happy with the way she looks and that's what counts.
Now it's time to start playing the actual game. I'll be skipping over writing about the sewer stage simply because nothing of interest ever happens there and I'm sure everyone who has played Oblivion has done the thing in exactly the same way I did it. (Kill rats, kill goblins, kill more rats, pick up crap, pick up too much crap, drop some crap, kill more rats, want to kill the Blades after they yell "Protect the Emperor!" for the 100th time in two minutes.)

1 comment:

  1. That's true. But I think of it as a challenge to create a face that I like, or is pretty or badass looking. I may rarely see my characters face, I still like knowing that when I do see it that it's not a horribly ugly generic face.

    ReplyDelete