Saturday, April 11, 2009

What is Critical Existence Failure?

Worst. Blog name. EVAR.
The term "Critical Existence Failure" is a video game trope that means no matter how much your character gets hurt, no matter how many arrows, sword wounds, and crushing blows you take. No matter how many metric tons of nameless minions you wade though you will be perfectly fine so long as you have one hit point left. However, if something were to remove that last hit point, even if it were the slightest of injuries, it can cause you to have a sudden Critical Existence Failure and explode into a spray of goo (in the case of Fallout 3) or collapse like a house of cards (in the case of Oblivion)

So, what is the point of this blog?
This blog is more, or less, just something to entertain myself with. It's main focus is to record my adventures in video gaming. At first I plan to start a new character in Oblivion and keep a log of what I do in the game. I have nearly 300+ hours spread though about five characters in Oblivion and not but once have I done a single main story quest(Honestly, aside from delivering the amulet I could not tell you jack about the story), so think of this as possibly incentive to do that story. After I have either completed this task or get bored, I may move on to new games.

Hasn't this been done before?
Yes, it has, and possibly better and more entertaining. You may have seen Fallout Girl, a very entertaining read and part of the inspiration for doing my own rip off take on the subject.

Ground rules?
Yes, there are a few.
  1. I will be playing on 15%-25% difficulty (if fully left is 0%) This is mainly so I don't have to worry too much about proper leveling and can enjoy the game.
  2. No meta-gaming. My character will be fresh and he/she will not know anything of the world. So if I get stuck for any reason, I will just have to figure it out myself.
  3. I will not abuse the Wizard's Tower.
  4. Shivering Isle will only be completed after finishing the main quest.
  5. No Item duplication.
So, just the main story?
No, I will be doing whatever quests my character comes across. As mentioned above though, I won't be using any meta-gaming so I will have to actually find these quests without outside help. And you'll just have to trust that I really am doing so. I'm fairly honest though

What other DLC content do you have?
Aside from the above mentioned I also have Fighter's Stronghold, Vile Lair, Knights of the Nine, Thieves Den and Spell Tomes. Depending on my class, any or all of these could play a factor in how I will play the game. Since Wizard's Tower is the only real game breaker in the lot I don't see any of them becoming a big part of my game play aside from storage.

What kinda character are you going to play?
A good question. I will have a friend, who knows nothing about Oblivion pick my character's race and gender. From there, I will simply use whatever class I am giving after the tutorial.

What system are you playing on?
I will be playing on the Xbox 360. Would only that my poor little laptop could run Oblivion.

When are you going to start?
Soon, hopefully.


That's about it. Thanks for stopping in, I will hopefully update this within a week or so. If you enjoy this idea, or don't, feel free to comment, or not.

EDIT: Added some more questions that were asked of me (Thanks to
Brandon) and better defined what I plan to do with this blog.

2 comments:

  1. so, are you going to dupe items at all? can you even still dupe items? are the shivering isles and wizard's tower the only dlc you have? if not, how are the other dlc's going to factor in since they automatically pop up in your journal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, not to ruin this whole thing for you before you even start, i feel i should let you in on the ending. capt picard comes back with some aliens and they make all the bad guys into nazi zombies. and you thought treyarch was being creative! they them there stole the nazi zombie idea from bethesda!

    ReplyDelete